We are officially under the 60 day mark until kick off! Let’s start off with #59 George Lilja, an All-American Center from Evergreen Park, Illinois.
- Played center during career at Michigan.
- For his last two seasons, he started 24 straight games.
- He was named All-American by Walter Camp, along with 2nd Team All-American and 2nd Team Big Ten Conference by numerous media outlets.
- In 1980, he was named co-Captain with Anthony Carter.
- Received the University’s Myer Morton Award in 1980.
- Lilja was a member of the 1980 Big Ten Champion team.
- Won the 1981 Rose Bowl over Washington, 23-6, making it the first bowl win for Bo Schembechler.
- Was drafted in the 4th Round of the 1981 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Rams.
- After playing one season with the Rams, he was traded to the New York Jets(1983-1984).
- Lilja played in the NFL for six seasons with a total of four teams(Rams, Jets, Browns, and Cowboys), accounting for 54 games.
- Was on the 1986 Cleveland Browns during their 12-4 season and AFC Game appearance.
- While on the Browns, he played left tackle. He assist in their season mark of 2,000+ yards rushing performance(Kevin Mack-1,104, Earnest Byner-1,002 ).
Life After Football
- Lilja is married with four children. Currently resides in Warren, PA.
- He is active in the Christian Group for Athletes with his five brothers and two sisters.
- He not related to Super Bowl XLI winner Ryan Lilja.